Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cutting back on the Caffeine...




I briefly mentioned in the Monday post that I am trying to cut down on my coffee intake. I have mixed feelings about this. I love coffee. I love it so much that it could rival my affections for my husband. KIDDING; nothing does that. I sure do like coffee a whole lot, though. I realized last week that I probably like it a little too much.  I drank four strong cups of coffee in one day and still crashed by 10.  I get to a point with my coffee where it stops refreshing me, and I start feeling sad side-effects.  That four cup day I was having heart palpitations from the caffeine. Not okay!  So, I have begun to cut back. I gave myself a strict two cup limit for the rest of the week and set about making a plan.

I have a beautiful Keurig that my parents gave me for my birthday (they know me so well!) and I have been using the pre-filled k-cups. They make a pretty strong cup of coffee.  I really need to have a weaker cup, so my solution was to order a reusable k-cup. I got a 2-pack, so that I can prep one for both me and the DH before I go to bed at night. I cannot be fumbling around with coffee grounds and little cups in the morning.  It wouldn't be a pretty sight.  So, that is step number one in getting myself clean tapered off.

Step number two will be reducing the number of cups down to just one weak cup in the morning.  yay. (sense my sarcasm)

So, if I like coffee so much, why torture myself and get off it? Well, firstly, that whole heart paliptation and energy crash thing is kind of a kill-joy,  Secondly, I'd like to have another baby at some point, and trying to come off coffee when you have morning sickness stinks. Better to do it now, and be at that good level should God ever give us another miracle.

So, that's that. I'll be replacing my coffee with various caffeine-free herbal teas, and I promise to review those for you.  There will also be lots of water consumption going on.  We've been planning on using our tax return for a certain wonderful kind of water system (I love good water even more than I like coffee!) and we should be able to order that soon.  I can't wait for that. We've had to buy water because ours is nasty, and we often run out mid-week.  More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment